Monday, May 14, 2012

Forever and a day

Okay. I know. I haven't been around in forever... But I have excuses! We took in a foster dog, AND a foster cat, adopted the cat, transferred the dog, adopted KITTENS, and then I had a three-day trip to New York City with finals the next week. I know. That was quite silly of me, wasn't it? On top of all that, I've got to figure out whether I want to apply to colleges and if so, which ones, and lately I've gotten really hard core into genealogy. But enough about all that stuff. On to the pictures!


My trip to New York was a success in the fabric department. It was my second trip to NYC, but only my first visit to Purl Soho, and I was so intimidated I only got a quarter of a yard! I also visited Mood and City Quilter, and the latter is where I picked up the five prints from the left, right before hopping on the train home.

Why, exactly, was I in New York, you wonder? Well, for my birthday, I was treated to Heather Ross's Photoshop for Fabric Design class. And let me tell you, what a treat it was! I met a bunch of lovely ladies, and, uh, I actually managed to design some fabric. I know, right? Doesn't that sound so foreign? But I did! I did it! And, I have pictures to show you!


Do you like him? I call him George. (Cookies if you know why!) I'm really satisfied with the design (though the brown did turn out darker than I had intended) and VERY satisfied with Spoonflower. I got home and immediately recommended it to an artist friend. I will definitely be designing more prints in the future, but I got home and discovered that before I do that, I need to update my version of Photoshop. So... I've got to raise some funds! -cough cough- If you like my design and would like to encourage future fabric designing ventures on my part, then you can pick up some of my fabric at Spoonflower.

Now that I'm done pimping myself, I want to talk about some of the lovely ladies I met at the class. While I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with some of them, they were all lovely and wonderful designers! There was the brilliant Becka, who has fabric on Spoonflower; the sweet Sarah, who has quite a few great pictures from the trip (which is great for me, since I kept forgetting my camera!; perfect Pratima, who had the CUTEST little umbrella drawings I have ever seen; rad Rae, who made a great post about the class here; Heather, of course!; her wonderful assistant and retired Genius, the avant-garde Ava; and a whole bunch of other ladies who I can't link you to until the blog roll gets put together! But they were all fabulous, the fabric was fabulous, the whole trip was fabulous. So much more than I was anticipating, and I am so, so, so happy I went.


After I got back from my trip, it was Christmas-in-May when two large flat rate boxes arrived on my door step from the Fabric Fairy. I don't know what I did to deserve this, but I am sure glad I did whatever it was! It may be slow going, but slow and steady wins the race, and one day I will have a postage stamp quilt done. One day! Thank you, Fabric Fairy!

Okay. I have to go finish last night's Game of Thrones and then go to bed because I have a final tomorrow, but after that, I'm done with this semester. I hope to be posting more, soon!

1 comment:

  1. George is super adorable! Your design turned out great, Libby! It was a fun weekend, isn't it! Your fabrics from City Quilter are very cute! And the postage stamp blocks are coming along great... I love quilts like this. There is always some fun detail to be discovered. It will be a fabulous quilt!!
    Happy sewing and designing! :)

    ReplyDelete